From sea level to 10,023 feet, this Maui tour drive to Haleakala’s summit winds through a panorama of landscapes and microclimates. The road’s curves hug the natural terrain to preserve the native wilderness with minimal intrusion, offering expansive scenery and a birds-eye view.
This 5-hour Maui tour of Haleakalā National Park departs Kahului at 7:30 am for the morning tour or between 1:30 pm and 2:30 pm for the sunset tour (coinciding with sunset).
The tour includes a stop at the Haleakalā Visitor Center, a walk on the Pa Ka’oao Trail (.4 miles roundtrip), and culminates at Pu’u’ula’ula, the summit.
Meander through a cloud forest of ancient trees, investigate native and invasive plants, and listen to the calls of native birds. You might even spot one!
Then enjoy a light refreshment before heading back to our starting point.
We’re among the few Maui tour companies that have earned permits to enter and explore Haleakala National Park. Dedicated to bringing you the beauty and wonder of this sacred mountain, we share the privilege and our knowledge with you. Come with us on this awe-inspiring journey to the “house of the sun.”
Depending on the time of year this tours starts at either 1:30 or 2:30PM.
We begin with hotel pickup and meet the other guests in Kahului before heading up the mountain.
- Start at sea level, then traverse through a variety of terrain including sugar cane fields, rolling countryside, green pastureland and old lava fields
- Take a stroll through a cloud forest featuring a hundred year old grove cedar, pine, spruce & eucalyptus (.5 mile, 30-minute trail)
- Study flora, fauna and the effects of invasive species
- Watch for native birds and listen to their calls
- Enjoy a light refreshment of fresh pineapple & banana bread
- Arrive at Haleakala Crater – approximately 10,000 feet above the ocean!
- Peruse the Haleakala Visitor Center which showcases cultural & natural history exhibits, books and maps
- Walk the Pa Ka’oao Trail (.4 mile round-trip, 20-minute trail) to observe ancient rock walls, shelters and an outstanding crater view
- Drive to Pu’u’ula’ula where we explore the summit (15-minute walk) and examine the highly endangered, endemic Silversword plant
- Gaze at the horizon, revealing the outer lying islands of Lana’i, Kaho’olawe and Hawai’i (Big Island)
- Perch for sunset high above the coast and clouds
- Return to our starting point
- Return guests back to their hotels
Light refreshment of banana bread, sliced pineapple, and bottled water.
Guests must be able to walk up to one mile on uneven terrain. The high altitude could cause breathing difficulties and complicate some health conditions, including heart and respiratory. If you suffer from either of these conditions, we require you to submit a doctor’s written clearance before joining the tour. Please let us know if you are pregnant, so we can better ensure your safety. We require visitors to inspect their footwear and remove dirt, seeds, and debris before entering the tour vehicle.
We honor a 100% refund for cancellations up to 48 hours prior to the activity date. We cannot refund reservations canceled within 48 hours.