Smith’s Family Luau
The Smith's Family Luau is, well, a family affair! Over the course of four generations, the Smith family has handcrafted an experience which embodies the spirit of the Hawaiian Islands.
The luau takes place near the sacred Wailua River. Once a playground for the Hawaiian royal family, this lush 30-acre garden serves as the perfect scenery for your luau experience. We invite you to explore the grounds on your own or hop on a complimentary tram for a narrated tour.
Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii
Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii
Smith’s Family Luau Features
Best Luau on the Island
As a family operated luau, we pride ourselves on providing an intimate, authentic experience. This includes the pa'ina, or the feast, too. Instead of serving generic "Hawaiian" cuisines, we treat our guests to the real deal. Featuring cousin Gary's secret teriyaki beef recipe, our grandmother's poi recipe, and other community recipes that we hold near and dear to heart.
Of course, dinner is just the beginning of any island celebration. We'll invite you to learn and join the singing, dancing, and chanting that celebrate this lively occasion. These traditions often tell the history of Polynesia, but they also serve to strengthen our sense of community. The luau is no exception. With each drum beat, we ask you to join our 'ohana or family.
Smith’s Tropical Paradise
Smith's Tropical Paradise on Kauai is a lush 30-acre garden park that provides an idyllic escape to enjoy the beauty of nature. Located in the Wailua Marina State Park, this beautiful spot offers visitors a chance to explore over a mile of meandering pathways surrounded by tropical splendor. Visitors can wander through fruit forests and view more than twenty types of fruit in the Tropical Orchard. Additionally, there are replicas of Polynesian and Filipino huts as well as a Japanese-themed garden island for those looking to get married in paradise. Whether you spend your time admiring the scenery or attending Smith Family Garden Luau, Smith's Tropical Paradise on Kauai is sure to be an unforgettable experience!
Fern Grotto River Cruise
The Fern Grotto River Cruise is a one-of-a-kind experience in Hawaii. It takes you up the Wailua River, known as “the only navigable river” in the islands, where you will get to explore the exquisite natural amphitheater of Fern Grotto. Along the way, you will be entertained by live performances and have plenty of opportunities to join in on all the fun! Whether you are looking for an exciting adventure or just a peaceful day out on the water, this cruise has something for everyone. This relaxing river cruise is also the perfect activity to do prior to the Smith's Family Luau!
Smith’s Family Luau Details
- Price & Availability
- Activity & Event Itinerary
- What’s Included
- Special Instructions
- Cancellation Policy
Authentic Hawaiian Shell Lei Greeting
Narrated Tram Tour Through 30-acre Garden
Imu Ceremony With Kaulua Pig
Mouthwatering Menu Showcasing Local Meat And Produce
All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Luau Dinner
Open Bar Featuring Island-inspired Drinks
Rhythm of Aloha Show
Kauai's Best Luau Venue
Price & Availability
Smithʻs Family Luau Package At Wailua Marina State Park In Kapaa
|AdultAges 14 yrs+||$140.00|
|JuniorAges 7-13 yrs||$35.00|
|ChildAges 3-6 yrs||$25.00|
|InfantAges 0-2 yrs||FREE|
Smithʻs Family Show Only
|AdultAges 14 yrs+||$25.00|
|JuniorAges 7-13 yrs||-$80.00|
|ChildAges 3-6 yrs||$13.00|
|InfantAges 0-2 yrs||FREE|
Seasonal Activity & Event Itinerary:
- November through January: Monday, Wednesday Friday
- February through October: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- June through August: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
- November through February: 4:45pm
- March through October: 5:00pm
Activity & Event Itinerary
NOTE: November through February, schedule starts 15 minutes earlier.
- 5:00 P.M.- Welcome — Join us in paradise near the sacred Wailua River, a place once reserved for Hawaiian royalty. Receive your shell lei and either take a narrated tram tour or a leisurely stroll around the lush 30-acre gardens (last tram tour departs at 5:30 P.M., November through February: 5:15 P.M.)
- 6:00 P.M. - Imu Ceremony — Meet some of our family members and learn of the Hawaiian cooking method called Kalua — where Kalua pig is wrapped in ti leaves and cooked to perfection in our earthen imu oven.
- 6:15 P.M. - Cocktails & Music — Have a mai tai, beer, or glass of wine at the open bar while the Smith family entertains with Hawaiian songs. (Soft drinks and juice are also available.)
- 6:30 P.M.- Luau Feast — The music continues while you enjoy traditional flavors and island favorites like kalua pork, beef teriyaki, chicken adobo, and sweet’n’sour mahimahi. Sample our ono local specialties like lomi salmon, fresh poi, Hawaiian sweet potato, mac salad, namasu salad and scrumptious tropical desserts!
- 8:00 P.M. - Rhythm of Aloha Show — Move to the rhythm with colorful, authentic performances from Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa, Philippines, New Zealand and Japan in our spacious open-air, torch-lit “Pele Amphitheater” (complete with erupting volcano!).
- Sweet Sour Mahimahi
- Kalua Pig (GF)
- Chicken Adobo
- Teriyaki Beef
- Kauai Grown Green Salad with Papaya Seed Dressing (V, Vegan, GF)
- Hawaiian Style Macaroni Salad (V)
- Namasu ~ Japanese Cucumber Salad with Chopped Clams (GF)
- Lomilomi Salmon ~ Tomato, Onion, Salted Salmon (GF)
- Hanalei Poi (V, Vegan, GF)
- Fresh Breads ~ Hawaiian Sweet Bread, Guava Bread, Pineapple Bread (V)
- Hawaiian Purple Sweet Potatoes (V, Vegan, GF)
- Chinese Fried Rice
- Mashed Potatoes (V, GF)
- Stir Fried Vegetables (V, GF)
- Coconut Cake (V)
- Haupia ~ Coconut Milk Pudding (V, Vegan, GF)
- Imu Baked Rice Pudding (V, GF)
- Fruit Jello (GF)
- Mai Tai Punch
- Kona Longboard Beer
- Chardonnay and Cabernet Wines
- Standard Liquor Bar ~ Vodka, Scotch, Gin, Rum, Whiskey
- Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mist Twist
- Guava, Pineapple and Orange Juices
- Hawaiian Fruit Punch
- Receive a shell lei upon entry
- Open bar
- Full self-service buffet featuring kalua pig cooked in an imu pit
- Live music and entertainment
- Tram ride around the gardens
- Time to explore the 360-acre garden on your own
If you’d like to stroll around the garden grounds, please note that the last tram tour departs at 5:30 PM (November through February: 5:15 P.M). We ask all guests to arrive 15 minutes early.
Any request for a refund 72 hours or more prior to the start of the tour or activity is honored with a full refund.
No refunds are issued for any cancellations inside the 72-hour period, prior to the start of your tour. There is no refund for no-shows. There is no charge for date change or tour change based on tour availability outside of the 72-hour cancellation period.
Best Kauai Luaus
Frequently Asked Questions