Kayak the Wailua River
Explore one of Kauai’s most spectacular natural wonders on this combination kayak and hike tour. Paddle the magnificent Wailua River where the first Hawaiians arrived from the Marquesas Islands almost 1,500 years ago. Learn about the fascinating history and natural environment unfolding before your eyes from one of our expert kayak guides. Leisurely paddle through the lush rainforest landscape alongside one of many fascinating heiau, or Hawaiian sacred sites, and Kamokila Village, a perfect replica of an ancient Hawaiian fishing and farming village.
From here, your adventure continues on land! Hike to the enchanting 120-foot waterfall and natural pool of Secret Falls. Here you can swim in the pools and enjoy a picnic-style lunch that is included with your tour. Group sizes are limited to 12 people for both our morning and afternoon tour options to make sure that you can enjoy the tranquility of the river and get one-on-one attention from your guide. This is a popular tour, so we suggest booking your adventure tour in advance!
Kapaa, Kauai, Hawaii
Kauai Kayak & Hiking Tour Features
Kayak the Magnificent Wailua River
Begin your journey by kayaking through Kauia’s lush rainforest along the tranquil Wailua River. This sacred area is where ancient Hawaiians first arrived about 1,500 years ago from the Marquesas Islands. From your kayak, you will view the marvelous heiau’s, or sacred Hawaiian sites, that are plentiful along the river. Our expert guide will share legends of ancient Hawaii, illuminate the secrets of the gorgeous flora and fauna in this area, and answer any questions you may have. View the village of Kamokila that replicates an ancient Hawaiian fishing and farming village and take in the stunning scenery of this marvelously lush section of the Garden Isle. We will then reach the North Fork and leisurely make our way along the river to the trailhead of Secret Falls.
Hike to Wailua’s Secret Falls
At the trailhead to Secret Falls, you will disembark from your kayak and begin a moderate 1.5-mile hike through the beautiful rainforest. Your jaw may drop when you first lay an eye upon the captivating scene of Secret Falls, with its 120-foot waterfall and stunning natural pool. Here you can relax on the river rocks and take in the scene, take a refreshing dip in the pool, and enjoy a delicious lunch included with this tour.
Wailua River Kayak & Hike Details
- Price & Availability
- Activity & Event Itinerary
- Special Instructions
- Cancellation Policy
Kayak Up & Down The Wailua River
Snack Lunch Included
Leisure Hike Through Kauai Forest
Small Group Tour (12 passenger max)
120 Foot Waterfall and Waterhole
Swimming Opportunities Available
Join us for 4-½ hours of exploration into one of Kauai’s most stunning natural environments. On this adventure tour, you will paddle through the lush jungle rainforest along the majestic Wailua River where the first Hawaiians arrived from the Marquesas Islands 1,500 years ago. Your knowledgeable guide will share legends of ancient Hawaii and interesting information about the flora and fauna of this sacred area as you paddle through. Gaze upon the numerous heiau, Hawaiian temples or sacred sites, that line the cliffside along the Wailua River until your reach the village of Kamokila. This village replicates the villages of ancient Hawaii where sacred fishing and farming practices took place. At the North Fork, you will enjoy a leisurely paddle through the gorgeous river until you reach the trailhead for Secret Falls.
From the trailhead, this moderate 1.5 mile hike will lead you through the lush Garden Isle rainforest to an enchanting hidden waterfall, rightly named Secret Falls. The waterfall cascades 120-feet from the cliffside above into a stunning turquoise-colored natural pool surrounded by river rocks and lush vegetation. Here, you can take in the mesmerizing scene, swim in the pools, and relax from your journey!
We provide a picnic lunch with your choice of turkey, roast beef, ham & cheese, or veggie sandwich and fresh pineapple, chips, cookies, and beverages. Also included on this adventure tour are kayaks, paddles, equipment, personal floatation devices, backpack use, dry bags and dry storage for cameras and personal items.
Along the journey, feel free to ask your expert guide about the history, culture, and natural wonders of Kauai. We are dedicated to making your experience the most awe-inspiring and memorable adventure in all of Kauai!
Whether you are a group or riding solo, we can accommodate up to 12 people in both our morning and afternoon tour groups. The tour is suitable for guests ages 5 and up that are in good physical condition. The Wailua Falls Kayak tour is quite popular, so we would suggest booking in advance.
Price & Availability
5-Hour Guided Wailua River Kayak & Hike Tour With Lunch From Kapaa
|AdultsAges 13-75 yrs||$125.00|
|ChildrenAges 5-12 yrs||$106.00|
- There are two daily tour options. 7:00 am and 12:30 pm.
- Available Monday through Friday. Tours are not available on Saturday and Sunday. Check-in At 7:00AM or 12:30 PM
- Total Tour Time Is 4.5 to 5 Hours.
Activity & Event Itinerary
7:00 AM to 12:00 PM : 4.5 to 5-hour tour
|7:00 AM||Morning Brief|
|7:30 AM||2-mile kayak past numerous Heiaus along the cliff lines of the Wailua River|
|8:30 AM||Arrive at Sacred Falls trail for a 1-mile hike to an enchanting waterfall that descends 120′ into a natural pool surrounded by rocks and vegetation|
|9:15 AM||Picnic lunch and swim in natural pools|
|10:15 AM||1-mile hike return to the river mouth|
|11:00 AM||2-mile kayak return through the Wailua River|
|12:00 PM||Arrive at the beginning|
12:30 AM to 5:00 PM: 4.5 to 5-hour tour
|12:30 PM||Afternoon Briefing|
|1:00 PM||2-mile kayak past numerous Heiaus along the cliff lines of the Wailua River|
|1:30 PM||Arrive at Sacred Falls trail for a 1-mile hike to an enchanting waterfall that descends 120′ into a natural pool surrounded by rocks and vegetation|
|2:15 PM||Enjoy snacks and swim in natural pools|
|3:15 PM||1-mile hike return to the river mouth|
|4:00 PM||2-mile kayak return through the Wailua River|
|5:00 PM||Arrive at the check-in point|
Your tour includes a delicious picnic lunch of a deli-style sandwich, fresh pineapple, chips, cookies, water, and a choice of beverage.
- Roast Beef: Horseradish mayo on whole wheat, cucumber, tomato and sprouts
- Turkey Rose: Rosemary mayo on whole wheat, tomato sprouts
- Ham & Cheese: Cheddar on whole wheat, tomato sprouts
- Veggie: Hummus on multi-grain, cucumber, black olives, tomato, sprouts
- Roast Beef on Lettuce Wrap: Horseradish mayo on lettuce wrap, cucumber, tomato and sprouts
- Turkey Rose on Lettuce Wrap: Rosemary mayo on lettuce wrap, tomato sprouts
- Ham & Cheese on Lettuce wrap: Cheddar on lettuce wrap, tomato sprouts
- Veggie on Lettuce Wrap: Hummus on lettuce wrap, cucumber, black olives, tomato, sprouts
What to Bring
- Wear comfortable shoes such as hiking boots, sandals, water shoes, or running shoes
- Wear a swimsuit under light clothing that you won’t mind getting wet
- Make sure to bring sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, rain gear, and a towel
- Carry an extra bottle of water
- Bring an extra set of clothes to leave in our van if you’d like to change after (optional)
- Camera (optional)
- Participants should be comfortable paddling around 4 miles (60-90 minutes) and hiking 1.5 miles
- Trail conditions can sometimes be slippery and muddy
- Participants should be in good physical condition, with no back, knee, ankle injuries or recent surgeries
- For your safety, women 20 weeks pregnant or more should not participate
- For groups less than 6, 72-hour notice is required for cancellation.
- Groups 6 or larger are required to notify us at least 96-hours before the tour.
- A 100% penalty charge is strictly enforced for no-shows or cancellations within 72 hours.
- Tours operate in rain or shine. In the case of extreme weather, the tour will be rescheduled.
Check Out These Other Watersport Tours
Frequently Asked Questions